says it all. (ht James Clay)
- mobile coverage in inner city areas in south africa, Jamaica and other developing areas: %100
- out of the kids surveyed, %70 had used mobile internet in the last day
- even texting is expensive, but people workaround it using pleascallmes
- kids are creating de-facto p2p networks over bluetooth, with the same sharing etiquette of web p2p nets.
- kids figure out the technology, but need help coping with the culture shock
- there are known trees where, if you climb up a particular branch, you can get reception. people go up, send & receive batches of SMSs, and walk on. (is there a collaborative map of these?)
(more hhl coverage on Steve Wheeler’s blog)